Monday, July 16, 2007

Taking the Heat

I made a managing move against West the other day that cost us a game.

With the scored tied in the 8th inning West had runners on 2nd and 3rd with two outs in the top of the 8th.

I had 2 choices - pitch to the batter at the plate who was a scrappy line drive hitter or pitch to the old school batter on deck, Wolfie, who can hit but is a pull hitter with power who had been inconsistent all day and had caught 2 games. I choose to walk the bases loaded b/c he was a slow runner, it set up the force at all the bases, and I was 100% confident that my pitcher could throw strikes. Needless to say Wolfie burned me by blasting a massive bases clearing triple to basically win the game.

Se La Vie.

Of course I could point to about 5 or 6 plays or non plays before that that were equally critical but what it all comes down to is I made a hard decision that turned out wrong.

It happens to all managers and it sucks (just like managing).

But if you want to be a good manager you have to be able to take the heat.

Their is an old Cuban expression "Todo los dias no son dias de fiesta" - "Not every day is a day to party".

No one is going to feel sorry for you - gotta live and learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment