Monday, October 3, 2011

This is the Moment I dreaded

 When I was younger I hated
 
as all it meant to me was that football was over and that show with all these old people was coming on.
However, as I have gotten older I've grown to appreciate it especially grouchy Andy Rooney
 
who retired yesterday http://www.cnn.com/2011/10/02/showbiz/andy-rooney/index.html?hpt=hp_c1

The guy was grouchy, edgy, brilliant, moody, funny, but above all else honest ( Reminds me of another aspiring media type I know) Some of my favorite Andy quotes from his retirement are

"This is the Moment I dreaded ... I wish I could do this forever. But I can't," he said. "But I'm not retiring. Writers don't retire, and I'll always be a writer"

"A writer's job is to tell the truth, "I know I've been terribly wrong sometimes, but I think I've been right more than I've been wrong."


He described himself simply, not as a "television personality," but rather as "a writer who reads what he's written."


The insider salutes this American original, and hopefully I can follow his lead in some small way

1 comment:

  1. it was an interesting comment when he and Morley Safer admitted having "fun" on the front lines during WW 2 when they were reporters for the Stars and Stripes ........odd description , to say the least , but honest , too .

    ReplyDelete