Sunday, December 30, 2012

Season Review : 1 of 11 - More than Winning Feels Good

In 2012 I was committed to and played on 11 softball teams. Yes 11 you read that right. This is the first of an eleven part season review series that provides a review of their trials and tribulations 

Season Review : Dead Rabbits
Record : 6-10
Final Standings : Last

Insider Analysis: Fuck....Fuck ....Fuck 

I won 5 Championships in 2012, ironically the same number that I usually wear in softball 

yet I start my team season review blog series with a team that found a way to finish last. Why? Because I've always felt losing hurts more than winning feels good and this team proves it. We didn't suck. We went into the season with high hopes as we were good or at least we thought we were going to be good. We had pitching, youth, experience, commitment, and desire. Yet we missed the playoffs and it hurt bad as we all put our heart, blood, sweat, and tears into this shit. We cared.

What went wrong? There is a long list that I will not get into because the bottom line is that it is all excuses. I hate excuses especially finger pointing weak and lame ones. There will be external moves to address weaknesses, but the most important move is for every returning player, starting with me, to look into the softball mirror and decide if they are happy with their reflection.  Look for solutions from within, take responsibility, and play better going forward. 

I've been a part of winning championship teams in the morning league before and now I have missed the playoffs two years in a row with two different teams in the very same league. It hurts. Coming back will not be easy as the road to redemption rarely is. 2013 Rabbit Season can't get here soon enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment